-->
Hollow Tree Ventures parenting humor
Follow the Hollow Tree on Facebook!Follow the tweets!Let's pin together!Look! Square pictures!Google Plus us!HTV's on the YouTube, too!Subscribe via RSS feed!Get yourself some Bloglovin'!I'll send htv to your email inbox!

12 Yoga Poses for Moms

yoga poses for moms

I have a love/hate relationship with Pinterest. On the one hand, it's so full of funny that it's almost too good to be true! But on the other hand... everything else.

Pretty much everything else on Pinterest, I'm pretty sure, exists solely to make me feel inferior - and in no section of Pinterest is that more true than Health & Fitness. The endless photos of toned buns and flat abs are bad enough, but I think the posters might be worse. You know the ones, with a jillion exercises all mapped out, complete with people demonstrating each move so vigorously that your eyeballs start sweating just looking at them, as if not knowing how to execute the exercises with proper form was the only thing preventing me from actually getting up off my computer chair and working out.

I used to do yoga, but these days the only contorting and straining I do is in an attempt to pull my old jeans up past my knees. I'd consider trying it again, but I'd prefer it if the poses were a bit better adapted to my life as a mom. And really, after forcing myself to look at some of the pictures on Pinterest to refresh my memory, all it might take is simply renaming the poses. So here they are, 12 yoga poses that might look familiar, but are now tailor made just for moms.

Formerly Downward-Facing Dog, now:

Formerly Pyramid Pose, now:
Very Funny... Now Untie Me

Formerly Standing Half Bridge, now:
Impromptu Indoor Dodgeball

Formerly the Standing Spinal Twist, now:
yoga poses for moms
There's Play Doh On the Floor...
AND the Ceiling?!?

Formerly Corpse Pose, now:
Still Corpse Pose

photo source: Fitsugar

I hope you enjoyed yourself while you were here - and I hope you come back! Please share inappropriate giggles with me on Pinterest, Twitter, and Facebook, or subscribe via email so you don't miss a thing!

58 comments:

1. I'm not a mom, but one of these poses does apply to me. Unfortunately, it's corpse pose!

(snare sting)

ReplyDelete
  2. so funny! I love the wine on the counter one :)

ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh....I am not a mom but those are hysterical! Thank you for making me laugh so hard this morning :)

ReplyDelete
  4. I think I just died. Hilarious! You just made my day better. Stupid pinterest. :-)

ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh!! I giggled all the way through this one! So funny!!

ReplyDelete
  6. If you're only going to do one, that's the one I'd pick!

ReplyDelete
  7. It's a handy move, because I like to play with the kids on the floor - but I like it even more with wine.

ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear it! I love Pinterest, but I do curse under my breath at it a lot, too. ;)

ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks - so glad you got a kick out of it!

ReplyDelete
  10. This was AWESOME! I just shared it on Facebook. I've inadvertently done several of those poses as a mom - impromptu indoor dodgeball just recently! (:

11. Kelly @ In the Mom LightJuly 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Please Lord let them take a 3 hour nap today!!! Love the poses :-)

ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! I do some of these. I never knew I was doing yoga, though. Do over-the-head backwards/upside-down curls with a 2 year old count as an exercise?

ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing - and congrats on successfully saving face (literally) with the Impromptu Indoor Dodgeball pose! :)

14. Lindsey Duncan RenuardJuly 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM

So true! You are hilarious. Visiting from MamaKat's.

ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sending a link to this post to my friend--a yoga instructor!!

ReplyDelete
  16. Right?!?! Ah, the 3-hour nap, salve to a mother's soul. ;)

ReplyDelete
  17. Oh dear! Tell your friend that I got tired of doing real research, so yes, I know some of the "before" yoga pose names are made up. Some call it lazy, but I prefer to call it "artistic license." :)

ReplyDelete
  18. I get tired just thinking about it, so I'm guessing they do count. I count them, anyway, when I'm deciding how many bowls of ice cream we should have at 11 pm.

19. Christian at PCPPPJuly 11, 2013 at 4:37 PM

My favorite one is the cover mustard stain on pants. Partly because I really like mustard but mostly because it's hilarious.

ReplyDelete
  20. Lol...thanks for the laughs! :)

21. Dyanne @ I Want BacksiesJuly 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Okay, got the corpse pose down.

22. The Tired MotherJuly 12, 2013 at 5:52 AM

I'm never going to be able to keep a straight face doing yoga again (not that I ever really did.). These are brilliant!

ReplyDelete
  23. Namaste Robyn! I will never do another Downward Dog again without thinking of alternative names for it. I've totally done this move looking for crap under the couch. Thanks for the funny!

ReplyDelete
  24. Um, LOVE. Seriously, your names would be SO much easier to remember! (And MUCH more realistic!)

ReplyDelete
  25. I like mustard, too - maybe I should just start wearing yellow pants.

ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks! Keeping a straight face during yoga is strictly optional. No wait, I meant strictly impossible.

ReplyDelete
  27. That was the best!! I laughed so hard!!! Being a mom, I think I may have done a few of the these poses!? LOL....I know I've done the wine pose...lol...I like that one... ;)

ReplyDelete
  28. It's a useful move for finding out whose tricycle you backed over in the driveway, too!

ReplyDelete
  29. Coming up with new names is a good way to occupy yourself while the chiropractor realigns everything I twisted out of whack trying to do yoga.

ReplyDelete
  30. Being a forgetful lady who enjoys wine, I get a lot of use out of that pose. ;)

ReplyDelete
  31. You and me both!!! I loveee this site!

ReplyDelete
  32. OH.MY.GOD. You've always been hilarious to me, you're one of the first blogs that I started following and one of only 2 'mommy blogs' that I still read, and through all the good stuff that you've put out there, I don't think I've laughed as hard as I just did. I am now officially re-naming Child's Pose - 'I'm going to pretend I didn't see that'

ReplyDelete
  33. Way funnier than anything I've ever seen on Pinterest! My husband keeps challenging me to improve my Plank Pose time. What he doesn't get is it's not a lack of strength that has me give out in 10 seconds.....but having my nose that close to my smelly carpet.

ReplyDelete
  34. This made me laugh so much, and I can totally relate. "Left my wine on the counter" is my favorite!

ReplyDelete
  35. Love that move - I hate it when I have to use it, but I do love the move. ;)

ReplyDelete
  36. I wish I couldn't relate to the smelly carpet! But I only get close to mine in child's pose - no planking for me!

ReplyDelete
  37. Hahaha - that's a great one! Thank you so much for all that nice stuff you said - it really, really means a lot to me. :D

38. Miranda Ramsey EvansJuly 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Love the poses! These are hilarious!

ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks! The day I can't laugh at the thought of exercising is a scary day indeed. ;)

ReplyDelete
  40. This is hilarious! Very clever! My favorite is the Dear Lord, Please Let Them Fall Asleep by 8:30!

ReplyDelete
  41. I am dying laughing, these are so hilarious and yes I'd say I've already mastered quite a few of them.

ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks so much, and thanks for sharing the post! I'm about to sink into an extended corpse pose, myself. :)

ReplyDelete
  43. I love this post! Ha! I used to teach yoga...a million years, 30 pounds ago and very unqualified-like but anyhoo...laughed at every one!

ReplyDelete
  44. I'm going to count that as a professional endorsement - thank you very much!

ReplyDelete
  45. I'm not a mom and I can't stop laughing! This is the best! I have nieces and nephews and this is so appropriate...LOL

ReplyDelete
  46. Bonus points for having to do all these moves when they aren't even your own kids - kudos!

ReplyDelete
  47. Thanks for the laughs! I teach kids yoga and we usually rename many poses in a fun way, but yours are humorous in adult style! My favorite was "covering the mustard stain"!
    On a side note, I don't use Pinterest and after your comments I still have no desire to.

ReplyDelete
  48. Cool, I bet the kids love the fun pose names! Really, though, Pinterest isn't so bad - as long as you avoid the fitness stuff. Too much pressure!

ReplyDelete
  49. They were all good! I especially like the Play Doh one and the praying one. You really should take this show on the road (for real). Ellen

ReplyDelete
  50. Of I tried to actually do all these poses, it really *would* be a show! But, uh, not in a good way.

ReplyDelete
  51. Wow! I've been doing yoga all this time and didn't even know it! It's like finding $5 in your back pocket!
    Over here from Finding the Funny...love "left the wine on the counter pose". I have that one perfected.

52. I'm doing that one right now! Thanks for coming over from FtF. :D

53. Great yoga poses like this article :D and nice pictures :D

54. You probably need a refresher on the useful tips every online
    business proprietor should be familiar with.

Each auction could possibly be conducted having a different list of terms including bid
    increments, amount of auction rounds and expense reimbursement for that stalking horse.
    " Employees at Nike are encouraged to become curious and ready to accept new ideas, whatever their source.

Look into my site; http://picspicy.com/

ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - you're awesome! I mean, even if you're a jerk, at least it means you read my blog. RIGHT?!?